Friday, June 21, 2013

From the USA to Usa River

Friday June 21, 2013

Shikamoo.  Habari za asubuhi.  Jina lako nani?  Jina langu ni Lauren.  Natoka Marekani; nasoma kilimo.  Chakula kizuri.  Ulale salama.  Kwaheri.  Asante sana kwa wema waka.

Here are a few of the Swahili words and phrases I’ve picked up in the last few days.  They translate to: “Respectful greetings (given to anyone older).  Good morning.  What is your name?  My name is Lauren.  I am from America; I am studying agriculture.  The food is delicious.  Goodnight.  Goodbye.  Thank you very much for your hospitality.”  Wow.  I can’t believe that I’ve already been in Tanzania for almost a week.  This relatively short amount of time has felt like both the blink of an eye and an eternity, probably because so much has happened in the span of five days. 

Rewind to last Monday.  I befriended a couple in Ataturk International Airport in Turkey, who generously helped me get to Kilimanjaro.  They were preparing to go on a safari and have done a ton of traveling themselves, ranging from India to Peru (both destinations I’m hoping to get to!).  Even though they’re less than ten years older than me, they took me in, almost like a child, letting me tag along as the airport was enormous and overwhelming.  Plus our flight from New York had been delayed almost an hour, so I was even more concerned about making it to Tanzania.  We grabbed coffee and they bestowed upon me travel advice, making the few hour layover more than tolerable…even enjoyable!  However, during our coffee break, a nervously shaking man, who claimed to be from Ohio but had a strong Canadian accent, started ranting about how Istanbul was in a state of chaos.  Apparently the riots had left the park and began to spread about the city.  He said he and his friends could feel the tear gas from blocks away as police attempted to break up the crowds.  This made me less than calm and I was eager to get out of Turkey before my parents saw the news.  Unfortunately, civil unrest seems to have followed me to Tanzania, where the nearby city of Arusha experienced a bombing last Saturday.  Four people were killed and upwards of 70 wounded due to election-related violence.  I assumed that I would dodge any trace of it, since the election isn’t until 2015, but apparently local politics and opposition parties are alive and (un)well.  Fortunately, I haven’t yet even gone into town and I am a good 20 km outside Arusha, living in a small suburb (? – this seems like the wrong word…) called Usa River (pronounced Oo-Suh), so not to worry, loved ones!

When I finally arrived in Kilimanjaro (which is a tiny airport by the way!), it was close to 3:30 in the morning and I was nervous about my homestay family picking me up.  I had attempted to conjure up back-up plans in the event that I found myself stranded, but I knew my Iphone was close to dying.  I also somehow managed to be the last person off the flight and in line for my Visa.  My nervousness quickly subsided, however, when I found my luggage and saw Helen and her husband with a sign for me “Laurean How” (classic spelling).  Helen and her husband were accompanied by their taxi driver and I was gracious that I was with three local people, as traveling around at night is not advisable.

After a short (about ½ hour) drive, we arrived at their home in Usa River.  I had no idea what to expect, naturally, but was relieved when I was invited inside (Karibu – welcome).  They have a beautiful home by East African standards, which is referred to as a compound.  It is protected by metal gates/fencing on all sides and is composed of a few small buildings.  I am residing in their son’s old room, which are small quarters set apart from the main house.  I have a double bed protected by a mosquito net and my own bathroom, which has running water about half the time.  There is also electricity here, which also goes out on occasion.  It just so happened that my first shower here was a bucket shower and I’ve learned to refill the toilet when the running water stops.  The weather is much cooler than I expected, especially for being in such close proximity to the equator.  Apparently it’s slightly cooler than normal and we are also closer to the mountains.  It probably drops down to 50s in the evening and 60s during the day.  The sun doesn’t shine very frequently, and the nearby mountains are frequently shrouded in clouds and fog.

Aside from these few annoyances, which are minor (I didn’t even know if I was going to be in a house with water or electricity), Helen’s is an incredible place to stay.  To give you some background on her and her family, Helen is a sixty-something year-old woman who spent many years working with the Catholic Church.  She retired around 2009 due to exhaustion and went on to found her own NGO (not exhausting at all, right?) called TRMEGA, which stands for “Training, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation on Gender and AIDS.”  She helps marginalized groups such as women, the disabled, widows, HIV/AIDs positive people etc. through programming, education, and empowerment.  On the side, Helen is a coordinator for the Slow Food Thousand Gardens Project in Northern Tanzania.  And want to know something funny?  This is not the first time Helen and I met; I actually made her acquaintance last October in Italy for the 2012 International Slow Food Congress Terra Madre in Torino.  She was at the Tanzanian booth and gave me her contact card when I informed them that I might be traveling to TZ next year.  What a small world!  Helen’s husband Kosmos works for the an Environmental Conservation Group in Arusha and makes frequent trips to nearby National Parks and wildlife areas to help educate people about the importance of conservation.  They have a 25 year old daughter, Lina, who is home for the summer before she goes off to the nearby town of Moshi to get her Master’s in Marketing and Entrepreneurship.  Their son, Dick, is 22 and is going to school in Dar es Salaam, the capital of Tanzania on the East Coast (which is how I scored his room for the next 8 weeks!).  The Nguya family is extremely hospitable and generous.  They have a gardener on site, who takes care of the beautiful and extensive plots on their compound, and a housekeeper, Regina, who does some of the cooking and cleaning.  We eat dinner every night between 8:30 and 9, which is a bit late by my standards; I sleep around 9 or 10, and I get up between 6 and 8 most days.  My body is doing its best to adjust to the changes in circadian rhythm.

The food is, for the most part, tasty but heavy.  It typically consists of some sort of staple such as white rice or Ugali (pronounced Oo-gah-lee), a hard porridge usually made of maize (corn) resembling mashed potatoes.  Beans in a sauce are often served with the starch and almost always, avocado is served with dinner.  These aren’t the tiny Hass avocadoes that the U.S. imports from New Zealand, oh no, they are oversized beefy avocadoes grown in the backyard.  Sometimes there will be a meat dish (usually fatty beef) and occasionally fruit juice.  For breakfast, it alternates between bread and peanut butter (which I was elated about, as I was told it would be nearly impossible for me to find peanut butter abroad), mixed fruit salad (bananas, oranges, watermelon, mangos etc.), and when I’m lucky, a fried egg on a piece of bread.  Always tea aka chai, multiple times a day with raw milk and raw sugar.  I prefer the “rooibus and vanilla” blend, though the plain black tea is a good alternative.  Lunch is usually some sort of mixture of breakfast and dinner foodstuffs, unless I am going out into the field, in which case, it is bottled water and a white bread roll or fried banana chips.  So much white bread…

And with all the good that has happened so far, there are unsurprisingly aspects of my TZ experience that irk me: the fact that cell phones are always out at the dinner table with frequent calling and texting; the jogoo (rooster) wakes me up every morning at 5:30 AM on the dot, without fail; people stare at me and often shout “Konichiwa,” as if I am from Japan; daladalas (overcrowded, speeding mini buses that deserve an entire post in and of themselves) are terrifying but it’s how locals get around (though at least I am not riding a bodaboda anytime soon, which are little motorcycles with helmetless men who drive at hair-raising speeds); we live next door to a Pentecostal church, which from 5-6 AM every morning has men singing and worshipping (sometimes they worship until midnight too and this week is apparently holy week); meals are heavy and infrequent, so I am really hungry by the time the next meal comes and feel inclined to gorge; it’s rare that the electricity and running water work at the same time; 95% of the conversations that occur around me are in Swahili, so I might as well be deaf (I miss what’s going on, the jokes, the news, dinner-time banter, daladala directions etc.); and constantly covering myself with insect repellent and attempting to avoid contracting malaria.  Whew, now that I’ve got that all out of my system, I’ve been learning so much here.  Everything is a new experience.  From leaving the safety of Helen’s compound to go to the duka (small store) down the street to riding a daladala on my own for the first time.

On my second day here, Helen generously sat down with me at the kitchen table and helped map out a rough plan for my time in Tanzania.  I initially was worried about being in Arusha because it is notoriously touristy and I feared that this would taint the “authenticity” of my experience.  I can say pretty safely that I was wrong.  I haven’t seen more than five wazungu (plural for mzungu or white people or foreigners as they are fondly referred to by Tanzanians) in my first week here.  Because I am living outside Arusha-town, I am very much embedded in the local culture.  Moreover, I had identified many organizations in the area that I want to visit, so I don’t see any reason to rush out of here. 

I have plans to visit AVRDC – World Vegetable Center, Women Development for Science and Technology Association (WODSTA), Farm Radio International, and Centre for Agricultural Mechanisation and Rural Technology (CARMATEC).  Farm Radio helps disperse information to farmers through radio programming and broadcasting and the others are fairly self-explanatory.  In addition, Helen has contacted her friend at CESuDe-T (Community Empowerment for Sustainable Development – Tanzania), who is working with the agricultural system of a nearby village.  CESuDe-T “trains on proper land use, environmental protection, improve agronomy, and animal husbandry for developing profitable market chains.”  They are also relatively new (the founder, Rogat used to work with Helen in the church and when he retired, he also founded an NGO…casual business) and looking for volunteers, specifically those interested in agriculture (Rogat noted that there is an abundance of volunteers interested in working with orphans or on HIV/AIDs issues, but that agriculture is lacking).  On my second day in Tanzania, I went with Rogat to the village; it was a day of many firsts.  Children called me “mzungu” and I ate Tanzanian “street food” at a café (and enjoyed it, even though I was at first alarmed by being served an entire tilapia fish with the head, eyes, scales, and bones).  We also engaged in deep dialogue on the ride to the village.  He asked me how I felt about Obama, the principles of Slow Food, if I believed in God, my adoption, and what I thought about global climate change (hardly light stuff).  He was genuinely interested in hearing my opinions and the genuineness of the conversation was refreshing.

Once we arrived at the village, he began introducing me to the people who lived there.  The women were dressed in colorful cloth, many carrying concrete bricks on their heads.  They were contributing to the construction of an irrigation scheme in the village.  The project is funded by donors from Japan and the Tanzanian government, so you can imagine the strange twist this brought to the day, as Rogat confirmed that many of the villagers thought I was the daughter of the Japanese donor.  However, I neither speak Japanese nor Swahili, so that made the day interesting.  In addition, I am trying to figure out how to best blend in and not stick out like a sore thumb (more difficult than you might imagine).  I think I must ditch the Eddie Bauer over the shoulder bag and avoid the heinously ‘backpacker’ combination of Tevas, Northface hiking pants, and quick-dry EMS t-shirt.  Though even if I was dressed less touristy, I don’t think I would nr used to the stares I get from Tanzanians everywhere I go, be it the daladala en route to Arusha-town or small rural village. 

Anyways, back to the irrigation project: they are digging a trench, lining the bottom with poured cement and the sides with concrete bricks in order to bring the water down from the mountains.  This was my first reality check that ‘technology’ is really a gamut.  I also got a chance to meet the village chairman and practice my Swahili.  I think my favorite part about the day, however, was the breathtaking views, especially the verdant mountains that loomed adjacent to the village, dissected by terrace farming and the cultivation of coffee and bananas.  

Africa is like another world in all honesty.  Photos and recounts of friends and previous travelers cannot capture the essence of what it is like.  I hate to admit that I am comforted when I spot a fellow tourist or white person, regardless of who they are or what they’re doing.  At first, it was nerve-racking to leave Helen’s compound, where right outside the gates, children are running around in the mud and trash lines the dirt road.  Passersby sport vacant stares and there seems to be a ubiquitous sense of idleness and desperation.  I obviously have no authority in passing these judgments, but they are merely observations.  However, it is clear that as is the case with all humans, the Tanzanians I have seen and interacted with just want to survive and thrive.  When looking at Helen’s family photo album, I swear I could have been looking at my own family – a moment of profound connectedness and comfort. 


Speaking of comforts, those associated with home feel like a trillion miles away.  I must maintain, however, that all of this is good for me: the culture shock, the stepping out of my comfort zone, the personal challenges; I know I am going to grow in ways I hadn’t known were possible.  And this year away will always make reuniting with my family, friends, and Jack the most special occurrence in the entire world.  Until then, I am fortuate to be living with Helen and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment