Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday Fun Day = Market Day!

June 23, 2013


Happy Birthday Dad!  I wish I could have been there to celebrate with you, but rest assured, I’ll be there for the next one J I love and miss you so much!


Today I accompanied Helen to the market at Usa River.  I feel like markets in any country are their own entity of excitement and attending, even if only to look around, is an event in and of itself.  I was overwhelmed with new sights, sounds, and smells; colors of every shade were remarkably vibrant.  The market was spread about several side streets and alley ways and if someone had flown an aircraft overhead, it would have looked something like a “T.”  Vendors were selling everything from second hand shoes to produce, including kongas (colorful and ornate pieces of fabric that can be tailored into skirts and shirts), clothes, bags, shampoo and meat.  There were booths with heaps of dried sardines and loads of shoes…so many shoes everywhere!  Helen bought a week’s worth of produce (whatever she can’t grow at home in the garden) and I bought myself a konga, which we proceeded to drop off with the tailor down the street.  She is going to make it into a skirt and using the leftover fabric, she will craft a hand bag – I’m so excited!



No comments:

Post a Comment