Saturday, June 29, 2013

Training, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation in Gender and AIDs

June 29, 2013

I spent the morning with the most marginalized and stigmatized members of society: the disabled, women, and HIV/AIDs positive individuals.  It is Saturday and Helen’s weekly TRMEGA meeting for which they are currently working on microloans.  The people in her group can borrow small amounts of money from the community bank for six months to a year and are encouraged to build their own incoming generating capacity through activities such as tailoring, growing and selling vegetables, trading foodstuffs at the market, repairing shoes, and raising chickens and livestock for eggs and milk respectively.



Helen introduced me to the group (in Swahili of course) and I replied, “asante sana, nafurahi kukufahamu” (thank you very much, I’m pleased to meet you).  It was a small group today: three women, two disabled men, and three children who were representing their parents (out of about 35 people).  The men came in wheelchairs, except I didn’t recognize them as such right away.  Unlike wheelchairs in the U.S., these cumbersome contraptions resembled adult-size “Big Wheel” tricycles, made with bicycle wheels and operated by hand pedals attached to a chain on the front.  They must make getting around the rough roads easier, as they seem a bit more rugged, yet their large-size and awkward nature cannot be ignored.  I guess mobility comes at the expense of convenience.  I cannot imagine being disabled here.  It is difficult enough for even an able-bodied person to walk around on these dirt death traps they call roads (I swear a trip on a rock or divot every ten feet).  To be bound to a rolling machine must be horrible, yet these men remained in good spirits and one is even expecting a child with his wife soon.  After poking around the office a bit, I noticed that the motto of TRMEGA is “Saving the Vulnerable and Marginalized.”  I good-heartedly told Helen that I think it should be “empowering” instead of saving, because she’s doing just that.  My homestay mom is an inspiration, really a role model with an enormous heart and will to help others.




More of the homestay garden




Gifts and handicrafts for sale


This painting sums up the work of TRMEGA pretty well

1 comment: