Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Day in the Village

June 27, 2013

Today was another tiring day.  I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why I am so tired here all the time.  I think my body hasn’t quite gotten used to rising so early in the morning.  After a breakfast of white bread (the combination of PB&J reminds me of home), a bowl of papaya (or “paw paw”) and orange slices, and a cup of rooibus and vanilla tea, I waited for Rogath to pick me up so that we could go to the village.  On our way, we took a side trip to an NGO called CEDESOTA (Community Economic Development and Social Transformation).  To be honest, it sounded like just another nondescript organization possibly irrelevant to my project, however, after hearing about their projects, I was so glad we stopped.  Rogath explained that it is the “little brother,” so to speak, of his NGO CESuDe-T (Tanzanians sure are fond of their acronyms).  He introduced me to the managing director, a jovial and humble man named Jackson, who informed me that they are currently working with pastoralists on issues related to agriculture, climate change, and land rights.  My jaw may have dropped as this is very much interrelated to what I want to study.  To make matters more exciting, CEDESOTA works locally with Maasai and other tribes and will be holding a training sometime in July.  I really hope I’ll be around to attend, however, my “calendar” for July seems to be filling up faster than I would have thought possible.  I hope to visit Mwanza (on Lake Victoria), Tanga (a coastal region to the East), and either a safari or a hike up Mt. Meru (Tanzania’s second largest mountain after Kilimanjaro).  I just want to see and do everything, and I am working hard to treat the Watson as a lesson in saying “yes.”  There were too many times at Hamilton that I said “no.”  No because I had too much work or some other weak excuse.  I want to say yes.  I want to open my heart to people and jump in fully with two feet.

Today ended up being interesting after our serendipitous side visit with Jackson.  We arrived at the village (after an extremely nauseating half hour drive into the mountains) and Rogath encouraged me to mingle with the women by the pile of bricks, because they “surely remembered me.”  At first, it seemed to be going quite well.  I maintained about as much small talk as my extremely limited Swahili permitted, and we laughed over the fact that we couldn’t really understand each other.  Then something odd happened.  I asked if I could help (“Nisaidie namna gani?”), which the first word of this phrase is extremely difficult for me to pronounce…so many syllables and vowels.  I must have butchered it horribly.  I knew that I couldn’t possibly carry a concrete brick on my head like the other women (who I conjecture have been doing it since they could walk), but I thought maybe I could help some other way.  Then I thought they asked me if I wanted to take some tea (“chai”).  They pointed to a bucket on the ground, which I hoped I could carry to assist them.  It was filled with mugs and a thermos, so naturally, I thought they were offering me a morning cuppa.  Again, wrong.  One woman started asking me for money and then things got kind of uncomfortable – “200 shillings,” one farmer exclaimed.  I was confused, but should have expected that nothing is free in such an impoverished community.  I awkwardly bumbled through my money belt (which was of course, under my shirt, so I probably flashed them my stomach) and dug out some change.  “That is not enough for everyone,” another woman expressed in broken English.  Were they asking me to give them all money?  I was sort of annoyed and perplexed, explaining that I couldn’t possibly give money to everyone.  After recounting the story to Rogath, he swooped in with his wonderful bilingual-ness and apparently it was all a big misunderstanding…

Today’s mission was to see the intake of the irrigation system.  We walked the length of the canal/trench (~2.2 km) up to the “mouth.”  Of course, he stopped periodically to speak to people, but I didn’t mind.  The walk was beautiful.  This village is incredibly peaceful and the surrounding environment is breath-taking.  He allowed me to freely take photographs and also encouraged me to record video footage during our walk, which he occasionally narrated. 




Intake




On our return trek, he permitted me to interview a female farmer, while his generously translated.  It was fascinating but also depressing (like many things I have encountered in Africa thus far).  I learned that she is a single mother because her husband died, and as a woman farmer, she feels a much heavier burden compared to her male counterparts.  She has the responsibility of taking care of the family, tending to the livestock, growing the vegetables, and generating any income possible. 

Although I still haven’t managed to figure out how to pronounce the name of the village, after interrogating Rogath, I learned heaps of information about it: they began this irrigation project last October, and farmers cultivate individually on small plots of land for both home consumption and some sales at the market.  Land is very scarce though and as a result, they have to use zero-grazing with their cattle: the cows cannot range free but a rope is tied around their snouts, hitching them to a fencepost with a pile of grass and palm leaves are presented to them (it looks kind of depressing, really).


Unsurprisingly, water rights are also a factor in the dam and irrigation scheme, which provides for about 3,000 individuals (this village and surrounding villages).   

1 comment:

  1. it is good you are willing to put yourself out there and allow yourself to feel uncomfortable. you can use that feeling to help welcome foreigners who enter your life going forward. "crossing borders" i call it. becoming the minority, becoming impoverished, if only culturally, for the moment. these are wonderful experiences, though are quite uncomfortable at the time.

    ReplyDelete